My Blog List

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Scarlet Letter Blogpost 2!


Blogpost #2: Chapters 4-5

In the beginning of chapter four you realize that the baby is actually sentenced to prison with Hester. Somehow, this surprises me. I know it shouldn’t, given how cruel the Puritans are, but it does. A baby, the most innocent and naive creature, being sentence to prison for a sin she didn’t commit. The sin that led to her life. In efforts to help both her and the baby sleep (and to ease their pain) a doctor, Roger Chillingworth subscribes them medicine. Who is this Roger Chillingworth you ask? HER LONG LOST HUSBAND. Talk about a plot twist, huh? Not only did she sleep with a married man, but she is a married woman herself. I wonder if that’s why her punishment is so cruel. I begin to not trust this Roger guy. And what’s to stop him from accidentally giving her and her baby the wrong medication “by accident”, huh? Because of the mystery aspect to the story, I’ve started to question everyone’s role in Hester’s life and their motives. You never know who’s the liar. Anyway, he is going to tell everyone the identity of her lover, but he also wants her to keep his identity a secret. That’s asking for a bit too much, don’t you think? She agrees to do it. What I want to say to Hester is: “Come on, girl! Where is your will power? Stick it to the man!” I wonder if she agrees because she feels guilty about cheating on him. Again, mindset lens is vital in this story. 
In chapter five, Hester is released from prison on the condition that she must wear an “A” on her chest for the rest of her life. The “A” represents sinful passion and frailty, or weakness in morals. On page 76, the narrator go on a sort of rant in which GREAT POINTS are made. How can she still call this place of shame “home”. She is free to go anywhere, yet she choses to stay because it is her home. Where people will continue to talk about her and shame her for her ONE wrong doing forever. “But there is a fatality, a feeling so irresistible and inevitable that it has the force of doom, which almost invariably compels human being to linger around and haunt, ghostlike, the spot where some great and marked event has given color to their lifetime; and still the more irresistibly, the darker the tinge that saddens it” (pg. 76-77). I think this quote can be related to our society today. Magazines like People and OK! actually get paid to leak rumors (or personal events) of well-known humans. The darker and sadder the events are, the more magazines that sells. And we, as consumers, buy it! I’m guilty of it, too.  I mean, I remember when Tiger Woods cheated on his wife and that’s ALL I heard about for a long time. Or the big RPattz and Kristen Stewart affair. People like to read about other’s tragedies or misfortunes or scandals. It’s a fact. But, what does that say about us, as human beings? 

11 comments:

  1. Do you blame Hester for having an affair? Her husband seems like maybe he was dead. She is in a new world with strangers. Should she have lived her life out waiting for him? When has enough time passed that it would be ok for her to take up with someone else? Or should she wait forever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't blame Hester for having an affair. Her husband seems very selfish. I also believe she shouldn't have agreed his identity a secret; she doesn't owe him anything.

      Delete
  2. I liked the connection you made with the quote in chapter five and how it relates to todays society. Also I agree with what you said about chapter four where Hester should find her will power, I noticed she does not stick up for herself that much to the people that mock her and she keeps quiet a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I want her to stand up for herself. At this point in the story, she doesn't owe anyone anything. Why not stick up for yourself when you've got nothing to lose?

      Delete
  3. Honestly, I do not blame Hester for having an affair. She probably felts so alone for the years her husband left. What was she supposed to do, wait around for him. It was a good thing she found someone that would keep her company. Its not right that her supposed "husband" isn't revealing himself to anyone else now that he returned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame her for leaving either. I just was wondering if that's why her punishment was so harsh, it was kind of a double-sin. It was wrong of him to just leave and believe she'd stay alone for the rest of her life.

      Delete
  4. I really liked how you viewed the story through the mindset lens. I also agree with you on the fact that it's stupid because she has the choice to live anywhere in the world, yet she chooses to stay in the town where she's seen as an outcast. I'll never understand either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Why not move past all the shame and guilt?

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading this blog post. The way the Puritans treat Hester is definitely related to today's society. Great point! We enjoy the taste of gossip and then most people, start to hate what the celebrity has done. Yet, most of the people that judged Kristen Stewart, have done things similar to her. I disagree with you about Hester staying in Boston. I think it shows that she's strong willed. She didn't let the people run her out of town. She stayed to show them that no matter what she does, she's going to stand her ground and be that Independent Woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I wouldn't view her leaving as a sign of weakness. It's to create a better and happier life for her child. I mean, her child will grow up knowing she is a product of sin and will most likely be looked down upon because of it. I think leaving would be in both her and her daughter's best interest.

      Delete